The UAlbany women’s tennis team dropped a non-conference match to UMass, the top-seeded Atlantic-10 team, 4-1 at the Capital Region Tennis Center. The Danes celebrated their three departing members, senior Aubrey Brooks, grad student Livia Gherman, and assistant coach Lauren Holzberg in the bubble they call ‘home’, yet didn’t play a point there. The match, originally scheduled for outdoors, was rained in just when the teams were ready to start. They reconvened in the bubble for the senior day ceremony, then drove to the local indoor club to play the match. Due to time and court constraints, the teams played singles first and the match was called off once UMass reached the requisite 4 points to claim the match.
Cheryl Kukkonen was the lone Dane victor on the day. The Toronto-area freshman played stellar tennis overcoming both a quality opponent and a wasp sting on the finger suffered as she invaded the wasp’s territory to change the score-tender atop the net post. Kukkonen, fully recovered finally from her second ankle sprain of the season, overpowered her opponent 6-1 in the first set, then held off her comeback attempt in the second, 6-3.
The Danes now head to Rhode Island for a brace of matches against the Univ. of Rhode Island and Providence this Sat. and Sun. as they begin their preparation for the AmericaEast tourney at the Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing Meadow, NY, April 27-29.
UALBANY 1 UMASS 4
Doubles: not played
1. Yuliana Motyl (M) def. Livia Gherman (UA) 6-3,6-4
2. Sonia Bokhari (M) def. Kirsten Scott (UA) 6-3,6-1
3. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) def. Jessica Podlofsky (M) 6-1,6-3
4. Hazuki Onaga (M) led Sarah Iannone (UA) 6-2, 1-1 (match suspended since UMass had 4 pts.)
5. Chanel Glasper (M) def. Aubrey Brooks (UA) 6-0,6-1
6. Chantal Swiszcz (M) def. Francine White (UA) 6-0,6-0$
Order of finish: 5,2,1,3,6,4
$ Match clincher.
UALBANY RECORDS: 8-12 (overall); 0-4 (AmericaEast)
- Sat., April 14, 2:30 p.m. @ URI (Kingston, RI)
- Sun., April 15, 10:00 a.m. @ Providence (Providence, RI)
Thanks for your interest in Great Dane Tennis!!