Gators deliver for Coach Bruce Perry on opening day
East Longmeadow, MA—The Sage Colleges women’s tennis team opened the fall season on Saturday competing at Bay Path College. The match marked the debut of Bruce Perry as the program’s new head coach and the Gators delivered a 6-3 win.
Sage’s junior captain Mackenzie Riley (Albany, NY/Albany) opened the season on an impressive note as she was a 6-0, 6-3 winner over Bay Path’s senior Sarah Costa, who went a perfect 11-0 last season. Riley teamed at first doubles with junior Isabella Pericone (Scotia, NY/Burnt Hills), but were beaten 8-6 by Costa and sophomore Symone Watson.
Sage’s lone senior, Briana Bixler (Highland, NY/Highland) was a double winner for the Gators with her win at No. 3 singles and victory at second doubles.
- Sage’s Mackenzie Riley def. Sarah Costa, 6-0, 6-3
- Sage’s Isabella Pericone def. Symone Watson, 6-3, 6-0
- Sage’s Briana Bixler def. Stephanie Morin, 6-0, 6-1
- Sage’s Octavia Gales def. Tenna Montoya, 6-3, 6-3
- Sage’s Danielle Sidoti def. Lianna Loveitt, 6-4, 6-0
- Bay Path’s Tara Mullane def. Allison Argust, 6-2, 6-0
- BP’s Costa and Watson def. Riley and Pericone, 8-6
- Sage’s Gales and Bixler def. Morin and Loveitt, 8-4
- BP’s Mullane and Montoya def. Christina Kroder and Mary Kate Hayward, 8-0
Sage returns to action September 6 hosting Castleton State College in the home opener. First serve is set for 4 at Prospect Park in Troy.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Tennis newscomers deliver for Gators in loss at Hartwick, 7-2
Oneonta, NY—The Sage Colleges women’s tennis team and Hartwick College finally got their match in on Saturday after a series of postponements and changes of venues. The Hawks tallied a 7-2 win to open their fall season and improve to 1-0, while Sage drops to 1-1 on the young season.
Sage’s junior Isabella Pericone (Scotia, NY/Burnt Hills) played her first match at firs singles and came away with a 6-4, 6-1 win over the Hawk’s freshman Courtney Hinds (Montrose, PA/Montrose) and improves to 2-0 in singles action for the Gators. Adding the Gators’ other singles win on Saturday was junior Danielle Sidoti (East Greenbush, NY/Columbia) as she beat rookie Nicole Schepisi (Rensselaer, NY/Columbia), 6-3, 6-3. Sidoti is also 2-0 on the season in singles play.
Sage returns to action on September 14 for a non-conference road match at Bard College, commencing at 7 p.m.
Hartwick College 7, The Sage Colleges 2
Sep 10, 2011 at Hartwick
1. Pericone, Isabella (SAGEWOM) def. Courtney Hinds (HC) 6-4, 6-1
2. Kim Willet (HC) def. Bixler, Briana (SAGEWOM) 6-1, 6-1
3. Megan Henson (HC) def. Gales, Octavia (SAGEWOM) 7-5, 6-3
4. Sidoti, Danielle (SAGEWOM) def. Nicole Schepisi (HC) 6-3, 6-3
5. Lauren Michels (HC) def. Hayward, Mary Kate (SAGEWOM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Kristen Napolitano (HC) def. Argust, Allison (SAGEWOM) 6-0, 6-0
1. Courtney Hinds/Megan Henson (HC) def. Pericone, Isabella/Sidoti, Danielle (SAGEWOM) 8-4
2. Kim Willet/Nicole Schepisi (HC) def. Gales, Octavia/Bixler, Briana (SAGEWOM) 8-2
3. Lauren Michels/Rebecca Clark (HC) def. Delaney, Amy/Hayward, Mary Kate (SAGEWOM) 8-3
The Sage Colleges 1-1
Hartwick College 1-0