In their first match on spring break, the University at Albany women’s tennis team gave Florida Atlantic a good battle, winning two matches and coming close in three others. But the home team persevered 6-1 in a match much closer than the final score. To start it out, the Danes nearly captured the doubles point. UA’s #1 doubles tandem, Rocio Lopez and Livia Gherman won 8-5. But with the doubles point on the line, FAU’s #2 team (featuring their #1 singles player) downed freshmen Kirsten Scott and Cheryl Kukkonen in the deciding match, 8-6.
Down 1-0, the Danes needed four points in singles. They got one from Lopez at #1, as the lefty out played her #1 counterpart 6-4,6-2. UA nearly got another from her doubles partner, Gherman, who lost a contentious match at #2 in a third set tiebreak. At #4, Kukkonen took the first set, but dropped the second and also the 10 pt. tiebreak in lieu of a third set. The Owls depth of lineup and their consistency of play was impressive as they won the other three singles matches in straight sets.
Overall it was a decent performance by the Danes in their first outdoor match since October. They competed hard, but were up against a solid team playing in their element. Tomorrow UA takes on Cleveland St., a team like themselves, used to indoor tennis who is trying to acclimate to the wind, sun and heat of South Florida. It should be FUN!!!
UALBANY 1 FLORIDA ATLANTIC 6
1. Lopez-Gherman (UA) def. Ryan-Tomascewicz (FAU) 8-5
2. Humair-Briggs (FAU) def. Scott-Kukkonen (UA) 8-6*
3. Ene-Phillips (FAU) def. Brooks-Iannone (UA) 8-1
Order of finish: 3,1,2.
*Doubles point clincher.
1. Rocio Lopez (UA) def. Justine Humair (FAU) 6-4,6-2
2. Marlene Ryan (FAU) def. Livia Gherman (UA) 6-1,3-6,1-0(6)
3. Natasha Basma (FAU) def. Kirsten Scott (UA) 6-3,6-1
4. Cassie Bergeson (FAU) def. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) 3-6,6-4,1-0(5)
5. Catalina Ene (FAU) def. Aubrey Brooks (UA) 6-0,6-0
6. Natalie Tomascewicz (FAU) def. Sarah Iannone 6-0,6-4$
Order of finish: 5,3,6,1,4,2
UALBANY RECORDS: 7-5 (overall); 0-2 (AmericaEast)
NEXT MATCH: Thursday, March 15, 2:00 vs. Cleveland St. at Patch Reef Park, Boca Raton, FL.
NEXT HOME MATCH: Friday, March 23, 1:00 p.m. vs. St. Bonaventure at UAlbany Varsity Courts (outside); in the bubble if inclement weather.