In what is believed to be the first-ever meeting between the Great Danes and the Boston Terriers in women’s tennis, the victory went to the latter, 7-0. Both teams were playing without starters due to injury, and many of those playing were ‘dinged up’. But it was a good experience for the Danes who aspire to the level BU has attained. The Terriers have been the dominant team in AmericaEast women’s tennis seemingly FOREVER, and they showed their might yesterday as they won handily at most every position.
The freshman trio AKA “KFC” (Kirsten, Francine and Cheryl), along with Aubrey Brooks, recorded the best scores on the day for the Danes. The Scott-Kukkonen duo managed three games off of BU’s #1 doubles team. In singles, Scott showed some good point building skills coupled with more patience as she stretched her Terrier opponent the furthest in terms of time and score. The other three each managed to take three games and put together some good points. Brooks was even leading 3-2 over Petra Santini, former #2 player for BU.
The entire UAlbany lineup had to move up a spot to make up for the absence of #1 singles player, Rocio Lopez, who injured her wrist against Bryant and could not play vs. BU.
This weekend the Danes travel south to play Delaware St. and conference foe UMBC on the road.
UALBANY 0 BOSTON UNIV. 7
1. Athnasidis-Linero (BU) def. Scott-Kukkonen (UA) 8-3
2. Laszloffy-Santini (BU) def. Brooks-Iannone (UA) 8-0
3. Mical-Lieb (BU) def. Gherman-White (UA) 8-0*
Order of finish: 2,3,1.
*Doubles point clincher.
1. Vivien Laszloffy (BU) def. Gherman (UA) 6-0,6-1
2. Monika Mical (BU) def. Kirsten Scott (UA) 6-2,6-3
3. Jessi Linero (BU) def. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) 6-2,6-1$
4. Sami Lieb (BU) def. Sarah Iannone (UA) 6-0,6-0
5. Petra Santini (BU) def. Aubrey Brooks (UA) 6-3,6-0
6. Amelia Martinez (BU) def. Francine White (UA) 6-2,6-1
Order of finish: 1,4,3,2,5,6.
$ Match clincher.
UALBANY RECORDS: 8-9 (overall); 0-3 (AmericaEast)
- Friday, April 6, 10:00 a.m. at Delaware State
- Saturday, April 7, 10:00 a.m. at UMBC
Next home match (“Senior Day”):
- Thursday, April 12 vs. UMASS