Catonsville, MD…. The University at Albany women’s tennis team ran into the team likely to be seeded #2 in the AmericaEast conference tournament, Univ. of Maryland Baltimore County, and gave them a good “go”. Although the Danes didn’t capture a set, they battled the Retrievers toe-to-toe at #2 (Kirsten Scott), #4 (Sarah Iannone), and #5 (Aubrey Brooks), and for a set at #3 singles (Cheryl Kukkonen).
The Retrievers played aggressive, net-attacking doubles and were just too good for the Danes today in doubles, sweeping all three matches in less than an hour.
They then added wins at #6 and #1 singles to go up 3-0. From there on the matches were anybody’s to win. Senior Brooks (#5) dropped the first set 6-2, but kept battling and got a good toe-hold in the second before succumbing 6-4. Kukkonen nearly got the first set, losing 7-5, but couldn’t get back on track and dropped the second 6-1. Scott gave senior Carmen Jackman all she could handle as the Dane frosh turned in her second strong outdoor performance in two days. The “Last Dane Standing” Award went to Iannone who dropped a hard-fought two-setter at #4, 7-5,7-6(6). Playing some of her best tennis of the spring season, Iannone nearly won the first set, and came within two points of capturing the second.
The Danes now head home to take on UMASS Thursday, April 12 at 1:00 p.m. at the UA Varsity Tennis Courts. It’s “Senior Day” and time to recognize Aubrey Brooks and Livia Gherman who will be playing their final home matches.
UALBANY 0 UMBC 7
1. Sahoo-Stange Jonsson (UMBC) def. Scott-Kukkonen (UA) 8-2
2. Jackman-Danielsson (UMBC) def. Brooks-Iannone (UA) 8-2*
3. Hadji-Aldunate (UMBC) def. Gherman-White (UA) 8-0
Order of finish: 3,2,1
*Doubles point clincher.
1. Shalini Sahoo (UMBC) def. Livia Gherman (UA) 6-2,6-1
2. Carmen Jackman (UMBC) def. Kirsten Scott (UA) 6-3,7-5
3. Isabel Aldunate (UMBC) def. Cheryl Kukkonen (UA) 7-5,6-1
4. Heidi Danielsson (UMBC) def. Sarah Iannone (UA) 7-5,7-6(6)
5. Josefin Stange Jonsson (UMBC) def. Aubrey Brooks (UA) 6-2,6-4 $
6. Kyri Hadji (UMBC) def. Francine White (UA) 6-0,6-0
Order of finish: 6,1,5,3,2,4.
$ Match clincher.
UALBANY RECORDS: 8-11 (overall); 0-4 (AmericaEast)
NEXT MATCH is SENIOR DAY! (Last home match for Aubrey Brooks and Livia Gherman)
Thursday, April 12, 1:00 vs. UMASS @ UA Varsity Courts