Parenting Aces: Our Impact on Our Children’s Development
The “Parenting Aces” Blog featured “excerpts from a rather lengthy email I received this morning from sports psychologist, Dr. Jorge Valverde.” I recommend the article for all tennis parents. Here is a small section of the article.
Our responsibility as parents is like a mountain: the bigger the mountain to climb, the stronger we must become, and our strength must come from wisdom and inspiration.
Dealing with discipline issues
– Establish boundaries and natural consequences and follow them closely
– Present one front as parents, avoiding the bad/good cop paradigm
– Change behaviors and attitudes with extended metaphors/stories
– Spend quality time with each child separate and together
– Avoid comparison between your children
– Acknowledge their good behaviors by describing what they are doing well right at the moment when it takes place
– Use the Eight-to-One rule (see * below)