Engineers sweep Stockton to open spring trip in Hilton Head
HILTON HEAD, S.C. – The Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (RPI) women’s tennis team kicked off its 2012 campaign in fine fashion on Monday, defeating Stockton College, 9-0 in the opener of its spring trip in Hilton Head, S.C. The Engineers move to 4-1 overall, while the Ospreys slip to 6-6 on the season.
Leading the way for RPI was its doubles teams, which battled to three straight victories to set the pace. Rookies Casey Olsen (Glen Ridge, NJ/Glen Ridge) and Amanda Alexander (Houston, TX/The High School for the Performing and Visual Arts) combined at first doubles for an 8-1 victory. Olsen was also victorious at first singles in straight sets (6-0, 6-0), while Alexander won in the fourth flight (6-3, 6-0).
Other multiple winners for the Engineers included junior captain Brianna Dickie (Acton, MA/Acton Regional) and freshman Katrina Bohnhorst (Hellertown, PA/Saucon Valley), who posted an 8-1 win at third doubles. Dickie went on to win at the fifth flight in singles (6-1, 6-0), while Bohnhorst was victorious in the sixth flight (6-1, 6-0).
Sophomore Christina Ciamarra (Woodbury, MN/Newtown (CT)) rounded out the solid efforts for RPI as she combined with rookie Lexi Rindone (Prescott, AZ/Prescott) to win second doubles (8-2) and also picked up a win at second singles (6-2, 6-1).
1. Casey Olsen and Amanda Alexander (RPI) defeated Kay Bendijo and Laura Church: 8-1.
2. Christina Ciamarra and Lexi Rindone (RPI) defeated Brittany Hall and Sam Koropchak: 8-2.
3. Brianna Dickie and Katrina Bohnhorst (RPI) defeated Slone Portner and Jackie Britton: 8-1.
1. Olsen (RPI) defeated Bendijo: 6-0, 6-0
2. Ciamarra (RPI) defeated Hall: 6-2, 6-1
3. Meghan Olson (RPI) defeated Koropchak: 6-3, 6-0
4. Alexander (RPI) defeated Church: 6-3, 6-0
5. Dickie (RPI) defeated Scout Baurer: 6-1, 6-0
6. Bohnhorst (RPI) defeated Britton: 6-1, 6-0
The Engineers are back on the court on Tuesday, playing Mississippi College at 12pm. Stockton will face Westminster, also on Tuesday.